I went for a run/walk tonight and was thinking a lot about physical discomfort. I started thinking about it because my left knee felt really tight and sore when I ran on it. My first thought was to stop running and just walk the whole time but I didn't let myself do that. I thought of my friend Kacee who is a running freak. She said one time that if you want to run you just have to run through pain sometimes. It doesn't always feel perfect.
I started thinking about how my entire life has been about avoiding physical discomfort in the 'now'. What I mean by that is if I'm hungry at all, I eat. If something hurts, I stop what I'm doing. If I'm too cold, I must get warm and vice versa. I'm sure a lot of us are like that, right? You'd think that not liking physical discomfort would mean I wouldn't let myself get overweight. It is definitely not comfortable! The problem is that getting rid of the physical discomfort caused by extra weight involves subjecting myself to a little physical discomfort. How's that for a predicament?
My goal for this month is to let myself experience a little discomfort. Be a little hungry, a little sore, a little too hot and learn to be ok with it....and by the way, I've been drinking over 100oz of water a day. Hello! It's been a great challenge.
No comments:
Post a Comment